This cheesy chicken broccoli casserole has a few things going for it:
• It’s easy. On those days when things are busy, this is amazingly easy to whip up.
• Ingredients are easy. In all honesty, these ingredients are almost always in my cupboard.
I’ve seen versions that involve making homemade cream sauce, but the canned stuff works just fine in this.
• Best part? I double it and freeze half as a freezer meal. There is nothing better than needing to do nothing except thaw and cook.
If you’re looking for more easy recipes, check out:
• “Easy Slow-Cooker Jalapeño Brown Sugar Ribs w/ Jasmine Rice”
• “Baked Tilapia Veracruz”
• “Sweet & Spicy Pork Chops.”
I normally make the double-recipe as follows:
1) Prep all the ingredients: cooked broccoli, cooked chicken, rice. (Make sure you double them!)
2) Mix one recipe worth of ingredients in a bowl. Pour into casserole dish. Bake.
3) Mix second recipe worth of ingredients in a bowl. Pour ingredients into a gallon size freezer bag. Freeze for later. (You can use a single freezer bag, but I’m always afraid it’s going to burst! Hence the two bags on the side).
—You can also freeze the cheese you sprinkle on top in a second ziploc and tape it to it. I don’t normally do this as we almost always have some sort of shredded cheddar or cheddar mix in the fridge.
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Cook chicken and rice. Set aside.
- Broil frozen broccoli in approximately 2 cups of water for 3 minutes. Remove broccoli. RESERVE WATER.
- Combine rice, chicken, broccoli, 3 soups, 3 cups of cheddar, salt, and pepper. Add 1 cup of broccoli water if needed to moisten.
- Grease a 9" x 13" casserole dish. Cook for 20 minutes, uncovered. Sprinkle remaining cup of cheese over casserole. Cook additional 5-10 minutes, until cheese melted and casserole hot.
***I always make a double-batch. Cook half and freeze half.