How to remove stains from microwave. No more long-term, permanent yellow stains.
I tried 15 solutions to find the one that works!
At first this was an amusing, slightly challenging attempt to find a solution for those long-term, permanent microwave stains.
Then it turned into a vendetta. Each new method had me approaching the microwave with narrowed eyes and determination to win.
And finally, I have. You would not believe how much time I have dedicated to finding a solution to this problem. But like I’ve promised to you, my dear readers, I won’t share it unless it works! And I have succeeded. (Check out the Cleaning & Hacks page for more content like this.)
Normal cleaning of a microwave isn’t a problem. Wipe it down often, usually no problem.
If dirtier, cook some vinegar and water about 2 minutes and then wipe down. But over the years stains build up. My goal this time around was to get those stains out.
So, I tested. I googled and tested some more. I finally found one method that works better than the others. But it required major scrubbing. I estimated it would take about 4 magic erasers and two hours. I want a clean microwave…but I don’t want it that bad.
So back to Google and then the grocery store. Finally, in desperation, I offered a $25 reward on Facebook to anyone who could provide a solution that met the following requirements:
- Takes less than 20 min. per side to clean. (Reason: Magic Eraser works to some extent, but I would probably have to spend 3 hrs. getting stains off.)
- It wasn’t one of the solutions I’d already tried.
Well….none of them worked. But at least I got my friends involved. And I found a cleaning item I hadn’t used before, but definitely will again.
For a full list of all 15 things I tried, see the very bottom.
Start pictures: like I said, years of deep stains…I clean it regularly now…but wasn’t always so diligent. These stains wouldn’t go away with normal cleaning!
How to remove stains from microwave
Anyway, I know you’re breathless. What finally worked? OxiClean powder and Softscrub. Mix it in the microwave (it will bubble a little bit) and spread around well. The walls are little challenging, but do the best you can. Then let sit for 30 min. Finally, put some elbow grease into it, and then rinse out very well. It actually took two applications to get it (almost) completely clean.
And….the after picture!
Not 100% effective….
Isn’t the difference amazing?
For your amusement, here is the entire list of items I tried in learning how to remove stains from microwave, and their effect:
• Methods 1 & 2: Baking soda & water/ Lemon juice & water: Fill the bowl with hot water. Add either a few dashes of lemon juice or baking soda to the water. Place the bowl in the microwave and heat on high for five minutes. Remove the bowl and wipe down the interior with a clean cloth. This worked for normal, everyday grime.
• Method 3: Nail polish remover w/ acetone: damaged microwave
• Method 4: Vinegar…slight improvement for a lot of scrubbing
• Method 5: Bleach: no change
• Method 6: Toothpaste: no change, even though it works great on other stains (such as on counters!)
• Method 7: Magic eraser- only serious change. But it’s going to take a lot of scrubbing.
• Method 8: Non-acetone nail polish remover: very slight change.
• Method 9: Soft scrub and bleach. Mixed together in small container. Poured, dabbed over area. Let sit 30 min. No improvement.
• Method 10: Hydrogen peroxide: no change
• Method 11: Clorox Bleach Stain Remover for Whites: no change
• Method 12: Clorox bleach pen for whites: no change
• Method 13: 16oz. water, 4 Tbsp. castile soap, 20 drops tea tree oil. No change…but had a good pleasant scent compared to other cleaners. I’m going to have to use it on other stuff.
• Method 14: Peppermint oil & water: no change. Honestly not surprised…this was a long shot.
• Method 15: Softscrub and OxyClean. Mix. Scrub on. Let sit hour. Scrub again. Worked better than other methods; did lighten stains. Not 100% removed…try a second round. That did it!
Do you have any magic cleaning solutions to share?
While cleaning is NOT my passion (I prefer making printables and baking), I do share some cleaning secrets on The Housewife Modern. And the quest on how to remove stains from microwave was one of my favorites. Though frustrating at times.
Do you have any magic cleaning solutions to share? I would love to share it with my readers! Comment below to let me know.