This shrimp and vegetable skillet is an easy, healthy, one-pot meal that is packed with flavor and stuffed with vegetables & healthy protein.
I’ve discovered something during my quest for healthy recipes while juggling a new baby. It’s hard to find recipes that taste good, are healthy, AND are easy to make. It’s usually that situation where you have to pick 2 of the 3. But this recipe actually manages to fulfill all three requirements.
It’s amazingly easy to make- it’s a one pot meal.
It’s healthy. Vegetables, shrimp, a bit of oil, and flavor.
And- best of all- it tastes fabulous.
If you’re looking for easy recipes, check out Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole and Homemade Hamburger Helper. (Though as I mentioned above, neither one of these are going to take home the prize for healthy…haha.)
Notes About Shrimp & Vegetable Skillet
If you use marinades very often, you might know that meats are often marinated for hours (or overnight). But don’t try that with shrimp, especially with marinades like this one that are acidic. For a ton of information on properly marinating shrimp, check out “How Long Can You Marinate Shrimp in the Fridge?”
I try to limit the amount of oil used in this recipe. But when sautéing the vegetables, it sometimes gets “dry.” I usually use a bit (or all) of the marinade. It adds a ton of flavor and doesn’t add a ton of fat. But you can also use small amounts of water or broth if you find the recipe flavor too strong. In that case, drain the shrimp before adding them to the recipe.
If you want to make it less healthy, you can add andouille sausage. My husband prefers it that way. To make that adjustment, sauté the sausage before anything else. (In the same skillet). Remove from skillet and set aside, covered. Cook the recipe in the skillet according to directions below. Then re-add the sausage at the very end when you add the shrimp.
Chili Lime Shrimp & Vegetable Skillet
- 8 oz. frozen large shrimp thawed
- 4 Tbsp. lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil divided
- 1 & 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 8 oz. mushrooms quartered
- 1 red bell pepper cut into 3/4" pieces
- 1 small zucchini halved & sliced
- 1 small yellow squash halved & sliced
- 1/2 small red onion chopped
- In a bowl, toss the shrimp with lime juice, 1 Tbsp. olive oil, chili powder, salt, pepper, paprika, & cumin. Set aside.
- While shrimp is marinating, chop vegetables. Place red bell pepper & mushroom in one bowl; the remaining vegetables in another.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add remaining 1 Tbsp. of olive oil.
- Sauté red pepper & mushroom for 3-5 minutes.
- Add zucchini, squash, and red onion. Sauté for another 3-5 minutes, until vegetables slightly tender.
- Add shrimp (add marinade if you want it flavorful; drain and just add shrimp if you just want a little flavor). Sauté for approximately 2 minutes or until shrimp are heated through and vegetables are at desired tenderness.
What did you think?
What did you think of this easy shrimp and vegetable skillet? Feel free to rate the recipe above by clicking on the little stars on the recipe card. Or comment below.
Could you do me a quick favor? If you enjoyed this post, could you share it with your friends? Share buttons are at the top.