Homemade hamburger helper cheeseburger macaroni recipe.
Easy, one pot copycat hamburger helper is a perfect flavor-packed comfort food.
Have you noticed that boxed foods are getting smaller and smaller? I bought a box of scalloped potatoes the other day. 15 years ago, husband and I would have leftovers. This time it barely provided enough for the each of us. So I checked the box. It claimed there were 3 cups in there. I measured it. There was 1 & 3/4. Yeah, about half of what they claimed.
The same thing with Mac & Cheese and Hamburger Helper. The amount provided seems to shrink every time I actually purchase them (which is about once a year).
I was website surfing and found a recipe that looked almost like Hamburger Helper. I figured with some tweaks I could make my very own one pot homemade hamburger helper cheeseburger macaroni. And I was right. Viola! Easy meal. Cheap meal. And- best of all- plenty for everyone AND leftovers.
I got the basis for this recipe from $5 Dinners- you can check out her version of Cheeseburger Pasta Skillet. I made quite a few changes, but am in debt for the idea of tomato sauce. I had never actually purchased it before and wouldn’t have thought of it. But I think it provides a subtle under taste that really pulls the dish together.
Homemade Hamburger Helper Ingredients
Just a few quick notes on some of the ingredients. As always, adjust to your preferences! I think there is probably only a single recipe in my cookbook I haven’t changed in some way. Haha.
- Ground beef- we prefer the 93% lean, but you can use others.
- Medium shell noodles- you can probably make this with a wide variety of pasta styles. If I couldn’t find shells, I would happily substitute rotini.
- Mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, and pickles- yes, this might sound completely weird. But I swear it takes copycat Hamburger Helper to a whole new level. But- of course- it’s optional!
Oh, and despite the pictures, I don’t suggest using a cast-iron skillet to make this. I make this in a large non-stick pan. The pictures just looked better with the cast-iron skillet.
Homemade Hamburger Helper
- 1 lb. ground beef 93% lean
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 15 oz. tomato sauce
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 5 C. beef broth
- 16 oz. medium shell noodles
- 1 & 1/2 C. sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 C. mild cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/3 C. mayonnaise
- 1/4 C. ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. mustard
- 1/2 C. pickle slices diced
- 1/4 C. green onions optional
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef and garlic powder. Drain.
- Leaving heat on medium, stir in tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, salt, & pepper.
- Add beef broth and noodles. Stir well. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes until noodles are done and liquid is mostly absorbed. Stir every few minutes throughout cooking process.
- Add sharp cheddar and mild cheddar. Stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- Stir in mayonnaise, ketcup, mustard, and pickles.
- Serve garnished with green onions, if desired.
Is there other copycat recipes you would like?
Did you like this homemade hamburger helper? Is there other copycat recipes you would like to see? I know my Pizza Hut Cavatini is one of my most popular. Feel free to comment below letting me know! I love trying out new ideas.
Could you do me a quick favor? If you enjoyed this recipe, could you share it with your friends? Share buttons are at the top.