Creamy mushrooms are one of my favorite side dishes. It’s quick and easy (always a plus!). I can make it ahead if I need to. And it goes with almost everything.
The only problem with it? I have tendency to skip the main dish and just eat these! Haha. They are that delicious.
It took a little playing around to get the sauce right- despite the fact it’s basically just cream cheese. I played around with milk and cream to thin it…but that left it too runny. Using just the cream cheese left it too thick. Finally, I thought (duh!), why not use the juice the mushrooms release. Note when mixing the cream cheese and mushroom juice, you do NOT need to get it completely smooth. The cream cheese will melt as it cooks…just use the juice to break it up a bit.
- Mise en place. Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and mushroom. Sauté until mushrooms are almost completely cooked and liquid is released.
- In a small bowl, mix together softened cream cheese and a couple of tablespoons of released mushroom juices until creamy. It doesn't need to be completely smooth.
- Add cream cheese and juice to mushrooms in pan. Sprinkle spices over mushrooms and cream. Mix well.
- Continue to cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring, until cream is completely smooth and mushrooms are done.