I didn’t post these on my website for a long time because I didn’t realize there was a high request for enchilada recipes. I grew up with this…so, in my ignorance, I thought everyone had an enchilada recipe. But after experimenting with some other enchilada recipes, I realized the one I grew up with was pretty damn good. I made a couple of slight adjustments and now present you with “Easy Beef and Rice Enchiladas.”
I love this recipe. It’s really easy. Brown some beef, cook some rice, stuff it all in a tortilla. Well, it involves a couple more steps, but that’s the basics.
It also makes a big pan of over-stuffed enchiladas. I normally can only eat a half of one. Husband usually manages at least one. But the main point- there is leftovers…no cooking the next day! Yay!
If you’re not a Velveeta fan, sorry to break it to you- but it’s good in this recipe. It provides a creaminess that’s hard to get in other cheeses without making a cheese sauce. Give it a try.
Easy Beef & Rice Enchiladas
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 clove garlic
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 lb Velveeta, cheddar cubed and divided
- 1/2 lb Velveeta, Queso flavored cubed and divided
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
- 1 & 1/2 C Spanish Rice
- 1 can (15 oz) refried beans
- 10 large flour tortillas
- 1 can (10 oz) enchilada sauce
- 1 C vine-ripe tomatoes diced (optional)
- Mise en place (always!). Pre-heat to oven to 350°. Grease a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Brown ground beef with garlic and cumin.
- While beef is browning, cook Spanish rice. Mix in refried beans.
- Drain excess fat. Reduce to low and add half of each of the cheeses. Stir until cheese is melted. Add green chilis. Mix. Remove from heat.
- Lay out flour tortillas. Divide meat mixture evenly between tortillas, placing meat towards one end of tortilla. Divide beans and rice among tortillas.
- Roll up tortillas. Place seam-side down in prepared baking dish.
- Pour enchilada sauce over top. Top with remaining half of cheeses.
- Bake 25 minutes in pre-heated oven until thoroughly heated through. Top with chopped tomatoes (optional).