These are also called “Bell Pepper Nacho Boats.” They not only taste delicious (after all, they’re NACHOS!), they’re filling. They’re endlessly customizable.
Best of all: they’re low-calorie. In fact, the entire pan pictured below has less than 1,500 calories. I generally break it up into 4-6 servings…each one fills me up for a meal.
While it is a bit of a blow to my pride to recommend Velveeta…I do in this case. It’s easy to melt (and re-melts wonderfully). And it’s easy. Good homemade cheese sauce can take awhile. And I’m busy.
Printable recipe is below. I’ve also included a calorie break-down of the ingredients.
Anyone else have a great healthy recipe I should try? I’m always looking for new recipes!
Ingredients & Calorie Break-down:
5 large bell peppers (red, yellow, & green)- 165 calories
1 (15 oz.) can fat-free refried beans- 315 calories
1/2 (15 oz.) can black beans, washed and drained- 195 calories
1/2 lb. Velveeta Queso Blanco- 560 calories
1 jalapeno- 4 calories
3 oz. shredded chicken breast (cooked, boneless, skinless)- 140 calories
1 C. salsa- 75 calories
Jalapeno powder (optional)
=1,454 calories for entire pan (Calories allow for 1/2 C. salsa to be added on top of the nachos after baking)
As I said, it is endlessly customizable. (Remember changing ingredients will change calorie count).
Optional add-ons & substitutes:
Meat- chorizo, beef
Diced green chilis (canned or fresh)
Pico de gallo
Skinny Bell-Pepper Nachos
- Pre-heat oven to 400°. Line large baking sheet with foil.
- Melt Velveeta (don’t scorch). Blend in 1/2 cup salsa, chipotle powder, and jalapeño powder to taste. (Ideal to make the sauce a little ‘hotter’ than normal preference; the refried beans and bell peppers will balance out the spice.)
- Cut bell peppers into ‘chips.’ 1”x1” or 1”x2” work well.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of refried beans onto each piece, placing on foil-lined baking sheet. (Place close together, but don’t pile on top of each other).
- Sprinkle black beans & shredded chicken over nachos. Drizzle the cheese sauce over everything.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, until everything is hot and peppers are slightly cooked.
- Add salsa as desired.