It took a lot of adjustments to make this recipe as fabulous as it is. You should see the original recipe with ingredients crossed out, ingredients added, the instructions fixed. But luckily, it is finally perfected! Parmesan and Asiago cheeses, bacon, and spices combine into this “Bacon and Cheese Crusted Chicken.”
It’s easy enough for everyday dinner…but elegant enough for guests!
Don’t let the recipe length put you off. It’s not hard. Cook some bacon, dip some chicken, fry a couple of minutes, then bake. That’s it.
Bacon and Cheese Crusted Chicken
- Mise en place (always!). Pre-heat oven to 350°. Place a flat cooking rack over a baking sheet. Spray rack with non-stick spray.
- Cook bacon (in the same pan you'll be frying chicken). Once cooked, remove from pan, cool, and crumble. Set aside.
- While bacon is cooking, place chicken breasts on a flat surface. Cover with plastic wrap. Use a rolling pin to flatten slightly. Remove plastic wrap.
- In a shallow bowl, beat egg and milk together.
- In a second shallow bowl, mix together 1/3 C. Parmesan cheese, 1/3 C. Asiago cheese, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Use fingers to crumble up cheeses if the pieces are too big.
- Add vegetable oil to remaining bacon grease in frying pan. Heat over medium-high heat.
- Dip each chicken breast in egg/mixture. Then dip/coat in cheese and bread crumb mixture until very well-coated.
- Fry in oil until crust is golden-brown, approximately 2 minutes per side.
- Place chicken on top of prepared backing rack/pan. Place chicken in pre-heated oven, bake 15 minutes. Cover chicken loosely with foil. Bake an additional 15 minutes or until juices run clear and internal temperature is 165°.
- Remove chicken from oven. Turn oven to broil. Sprinkle remaining cheese and bacon crumbles over top of chicken. Place under broiler until cheese melted.