I have a new favorite puppy chow! Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Puppy Chow. Or muddy buddies, if you prefer. I grew up calling it puppy chow. But then I moved to Washington State and- when I talked about eating puppy chow- people thought I was talking about literal dog food.
Muddy buddies made with peanut butter, milk chocolate, and Reese’s peanut butter chips. Reese’s peanut butter cups. A dash of Reese’s pieces. Heaven.
It’s easy to make. And if you have kids, they can toss the coated cereal in the powdered sugar…just make sure the Ziploc is sealed tight!
Now a question for you, my dear reader. What new muddy buddy flavor would you like to see? Andes mint? Apple Pie? Twix? Cinnamon Roll? I’m constantly making new muddy buddy combinations. In face, you might want to check out the ENTIRE PAGE dedicated to various Muddy Buddy combinations and barks…”Puppy Chow (aka: Muddy Buddies)”
If you’re a Reese’s fan, you might also be interested in my Reese’s Peanut Butter Cheese Ball.
~~~~~This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission which helps keep my blog up and running but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.~~~~~
Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups Muddy Buddies (aka: puppy chow)
- 10 C. chocolate Chex
- 10 C. vanilla Chex
- 1 & 1/2 C. Reese’s peanut butter chips
- 1 & 1/2 C. milk chocolate chips
- 2 C. peanut butter
- 1/3 C. butter
- 3-5 C. powdered sugar
- 20 Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups Miniatures NOT minis
- 1 & 1/2 C. Reese’s Pieces
- Pour chocolate Chex into large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, melt 3/4 C. peanut butter chips, 3/4 C. milk chocolate chips, 1 C. peanut butter, & 1/6 C. butter. Microwave for 30 seconds at 50% power. Stir well. Repeat until melted.
- Pour peanut butter/chocolate over Chex. (Might not use all of it). Stir gently to coat all of the cereal.
- In a gallon Ziploc bag- add 1 C. powdered sugar & half of coated Chex. Gently toss, breaking apart any clumps, until well-coated and they don’t stick. Spread out on a cookie sheet to dry.
- In same bag- add another cup powdered sugar and other half of coated Chex. Repeat process to coat. Spread out on cookie sheet to dry.
- Pour vanilla Chex into a large mixing bowl.
- ~~Repeat steps 2 through 5 to coat and toss the vanilla Chex.~~
- While Chex is drying, cut (or break) Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Miniatures in half.
- After everything is dry, layer (or toss together) in a large bowl. Use as many peanut butter cups and candies as you prefer- you may not use them all.
- Hide what you want for yourself because this disappears quickly!