Reese’s Muddy Buddies. A twist on this classic favorite combines peanut butter & chocolate with Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups & Reese’s Pieces.
I have a new favorite puppy chow! Or muddy buddies, if you prefer. I grew up calling it puppy chow. But then I moved to Washington State and- when I talked about eating puppy chow- people thought I was talking about literal dog food.
Muddy buddies made with peanut butter, milk chocolate, and Reese’s peanut butter chips. Reese’s peanut butter cups. A dash of Reese’s pieces. Heaven.
It’s easy to make. And if you have kids, they can toss the coated cereal in the powdered sugar…just make sure the Ziploc is sealed tight!
If you liked this recipe, you might want to check out the ENTIRE PAGE dedicated to various muddy buddies (& barks): Puppy Chows & Barks. And if you’re a fan of Reese’s flavor, check out “Reese’s Peanut Butter Cheese Ball.”
I’ve always made Reese’s Muddy Buddies with Vanilla Chex Mix (for half of the Chex Mix). But last time I went to the store, they didn’t have any! I substituted the regular rice Chex mix and…honestly, couldn’t tell a difference. So don’t worry if you can’t find vanilla.
Don’t overheat the chips when melting them. Between heating cycles, let them sit a minute and stir very, very well to distribute the heat and help melt the chips.
If you use too much powdered sugar when tossing, simply dump the dried, coated cereal in a strainer and shake gently (over the sink).
Reese’s Muddy Buddies (aka: Peanut Butter Cup Puppy Chow)
- Pour chocolate Chex into large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, melt 3/4 C. peanut butter chips, 3/4 C. milk chocolate chips, 1 C. peanut butter, & 1/6 C. butter. Microwave for 30 seconds at 50% power. Stir well. Repeat until melted.
- Pour peanut butter/chocolate over Chex. (Might not use all of it). Stir gently to coat all of the cereal.
- In a gallon Ziploc bag- add 1 C. powdered sugar & half of coated Chex. Gently toss, breaking apart any clumps, until well-coated and they don’t stick. Spread out on a cookie sheet to dry.
- In same bag- add another cup powdered sugar and other half of coated Chex. Repeat process to coat. Spread out on cookie sheet to dry.
- Pour vanilla Chex into a large mixing bowl.
- ~~Repeat steps 2 through 5 to coat and toss the vanilla Chex.~~
- While Chex is drying, cut (or break) Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Miniatures in half.
- After everything is dry, layer (or toss together) in a large bowl. Use as many peanut butter cups and candies as you prefer- you may not use them all.
- Hide what you want for yourself because this disappears quickly!
A Question for You
Now a question for you, my dear reader. What new muddy buddy flavor would you like to see? Andes mint? Apple Pie? Twix? Cinnamon Roll? I’m constantly making new muddy buddy combinations.
If you liked this recipe, could you do me a quick favor? Could you share this with your friends? Share buttons are at the top!