My husband loves red velvet. And he loves cinnamon rolls. So when I saw a picture of Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls online, I thought it was an amazing idea. However, the recipe that accompanied the picture was horrible. But never fear, I have the best cinnamon roll recipe in the world (And you don’t even want to know how many batches of rolls I made before I got this perfect). So, with a little tweaking, I developed these Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls.
I also have a Valentine’s Binder available in my Shopify store. It’s over 140 pages of activities, organization, decor, and more!
Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter softened
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 C. light brown sugar
- Mise en place. Proof the yeast in water in small bowl.
- In stand mixer, mix milk, egg, butter, sugar, 4 cups of flour, pudding, and cake mix until well-mixed. Add yeast and mix until well-mixed and dough pliable. Add extra cup of flour if needed. The dough is going to be a little softer/cakier than regular cinnamon rolls. Don’t “over-flour”!
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out into 18” by 30” rectangle. Spread the softened butter over the dough. Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together; then sprinkle over dough, making sure to get up to the edges.
- Roll up starting at the long edge. Since the dough is a little “cakier” than normal rolls, might have to use a scraper if dough sticks. Cut into 12 rolls.
- Place rolls in greased 9” x 13” baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place 1 to 1 & 1/2 hrs. They won't rise as much as normal rolls…they will rise more as they bake.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 min. or until toothpick comes out clean.
- For frosting, beat together cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and milk. Add powdered sugar and cinnamon, and whip until smooth. Spread on warm rolls and serve immediately.