Best 7 layer dip. This easy appetizer is guaranteed to be a hit. Refried beans, sour cream, taco seasoning, salsa, veggies, & more combined.
I love entertaining. Probably because I love cooking and entertaining allows me to cook. A lot. But I don’t do meals. I do tons of appetizers, snacks, and desserts. People love to graze. 7 layer dip is a great appetizer. It’s easy to make. You can make it ahead of time. You can customize it. This recipe has just about everything going for it.
Before I go any further, I should explain this is my Americanized version of a Mexican recipe. Someone got really angry with me calling my pico de gallo Mexican. So I’m very careful now to emphasize that I’m not making any claims to “authentic” Mexican.
As you can see from the picture above, I use black olives. But I know some people can’t stand them. My husband is among them. They’re (obviously) completely optional.
You can also skip the onions- though green onions are very mild.
I normally serve it with Tostito scoop tortilla chips. But I’ve also had it with the lime-flavored ones and that works out well too.
I usually make this in advance and put it in the fridge until people start arriving. But don’t keep in fridge for more than 2-3 hours. Moisture gathers at the bottom and it gets a little watery. Plus you have to worry about the lettuce wilting.
7 Layer Dip
- 16 oz. refried beans
- 4.5 oz chopped green chilis (in can)
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 16 oz. sour cream
- 1 pkg. taco seasoning hot & spicy preferred
- 16 oz picante sauce
- 1-2 C. iceburg lettuce shredded
- 2-3 tomatoes diced
- 2 C. cheese Mexican, taco flavored, or pepper jack
- 1 bunch green onions diced
- 2 oz. black olives sliced (optional)
- Scoop Tostitos chips
- Mise en place. Set out cream cheese to soften to room temperature. Chop vegetables and set aside.
- Mix refried beans and chopped green chilis. Spread over bottom of 9" x 13" glass dish.
- Whip cream cheese until soft. Mix in sour cream and taco seasoning. Whip until well mixed. Spread over top of refried beans.
- Pour salsa over top of cream cheese/sour cream mix and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle lettuce and tomato over salsa.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Sprinkle green onions and black olives (optional) over top of cheese.
- Serve with Tostio chips.
I hope you liked this 7 layer dip! Please share with your friends. Share buttons are at the top of the post.
Also feel free to comment below. I would love to hear if you liked this. Or let me know what your favorite party appetizer is. I’m always looking for new recipes to try.