Looking for a spicy, delicious soup that is very easy to make? If so, you have to try Spicy Chicken Corn Soup. Chicken, corn, tomato, and a delicious blend of spices make a filling, comforting soup. You can top with tortilla strips (or chips), sour cream, cheese, and/or salsa. I like the chips. Husband likes sour cream and chips.
The only thing to be careful for…it scorches easily once all the ingredients are added. I left husband to stir it once. I came back shortly later to find scorched soup. I made some very mean comments (I felt bad later) along the lines of “How can anyone scorch soup?!”. Next time I made it, I didn’t stir it often enough. Yep, scorched it myself. I had some crow to eat along with the soup. Haha.
Spicy Chicken Corn Soup
- 2 C. chicken broth
- 2 C. water
- 2 large chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 & 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 thick slices white onion chopped
- 1/2 green pepper chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 8 oz. salsa
- 2 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 2 15 oz. cans whole kernel corn
- 1 can Hormel Chili beans
- 4 oz. sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- Corn tortillas, cheese, sour cream all optional
- Mise en place.
- In a large pot, combine water, chicken broth, chicken breasts, salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley & onion powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken, reserve remaining liquid. Shred chicken.
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat olive oil. Sauté onion, green pepper, and garlic until onion translucent and garlic slightly browned.
- Stir in salsa, diced tomatoes, tomato soup, corn, chili beans, sour cream, chili powder, and shredded chicken. Pour in 2 & 1/2 to 3 C. of reserved liquid.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, adding remaining liquid if necessary. Stir OFTEN. This soup is very easy to scorch.
- Serve with corn chips, cheese, and/or sour cream, if desired.