I grew up with the Midwestern version of baked beans. Which is a couple cans of Pork and Beans, brown sugar, ketchup, maybe a dash a Worcestershire sauce. Which are okay. I liked them. I always grabbed some when they were on the buffet. Then, as an adult, my mother-in-law made these delicious Barbecue Baked Beans. I did some research and this type is called “Southern Style Baked Beans.” Now, as she lives in Illinois and has always lived in the North, I have no idea how they ended up her cookbook. But they did.
These southern-style barbecue baked beans are amazing! Three kinds of beans, beef, bacon (who doesn’t love baked beans with bacon), molasses (one of the secrets!), BBQ sauce, and spices. Note they need to chill at least 8 hours before cooking, so I usually prep them the day ahead.
Random side note: it is HARD to photograph baked beans in such a way that they appear appetizing. I didn’t even come close to doing these justice.
If you think the ribs look good, check out “Easy, Fall Off the Bone, Country-Style BBQ Ribs“.
Southern-Style Barbecue Baked Beans
- 1/2 C. white onion diced
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 8 slices bacon Applewood smoked
- 2/3 C. light brown sugar
- 1 15 oz. can kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can butter beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can pork and beans undrained
- 2 Tbsp. molasses
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 C. barbecue sauce divided
- Mise en place.
- Cook onion and ground beef until beef is completely cooked. Drain grease. Press with paper towel.
- While beef is cooking, cook bacon. When cooked, press out grease. Crumble.
- Combine cooked beef and onion, crumbed bacon, and all other ingredients EXCEPT 1/4 cup of the BBQ sauce. (You will include 1/4 cup of the BBQ sauce).
- Spoon into a lightly greased 2 & 1/2 quart baking dish. Cover and chill for at least 8 hours (or overnight).
- Bake at 350° for one hour, stirring halfway through.
- After cooking, stir in remaining 1/4 cup of barbecue sauce. Serve.
Leave a Reply