Snickerdoodle Muddy Buddies happened almost by accident. It was a combination of a sale and family visiting. We had family coming to visit. They have small kids, so I wanted to provide a variety of breakfast options. Among the three cereals (I also provided oatmeal, eggs, bacon, and juice…I have a tendency to overdo things), I wanted a kid-friendly option. So I grabbed Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Which was a hit!
But since it was on sale (buy 1, get one free), I decided to grab the second box. Leaving me with a bunch of leftover Cinnamon Toast Crunch. What to do? Well, what I always do. Turn to my favorite quick and easy dessert/snack: muddy buddies! And Snickerdoodle Muddy Buddies were born.
If you’re like me and love muddy buddies, check out the entire page dedicated to it: Puppy Chow (& Bark). If you’re wondering about the bark…two reasons. 1) It’s also quick and easy. 2) Puppies bark. Sorry, I couldn’t resist. (haha).
Snickerdoodle Muddy Buddies
- Mise en place. Pour cereal into a very large bowl. Put half of powdered sugar, half of granulated sugar, and half of cinnamon into a gallon Ziploc bag. Seal and toss to mix. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, break up white chocolate. Add shortening. Heat for 30 seconds at 50% power in the microwave. Stir (even if nothing melted). Continue heating at 30 second intervals (50% power), stirring between each heating cycle, until chocolate is melted.
- Pour melted chocolate over cereal. Stir carefully, coating all the cereal.
- Add half of the chocolate-coated cereal to the prepared Ziploc bag. Toss to coat everything, breaking up any chunks. After everything is mixed, spread out to dry.
- Add remaining half of powdered sugar, granulated sugar, and cinnamon to Ziploc bag. Add remaining half of chocolate-coated cereal. Toss to coat everything, breaking up any chunks. After everything is mixed, spread out to dry.