Some nights I just want an easy recipe without a lot of stress. Good comfort food that tastes like relaxing evenings at home with my husband. On those nights, this is one of the dishes I reach for. It is very easy….I almost feel a little guilty making it. Is cooking allowed to be this easy? If you’re looking for an easy slow-cooker meal, try this cheesy chicken tater tot casserole.
I found this recipe online, but as always, I made some adjustments to it (added veggies, doubled chicken, fry my own bacon, etc.). If you want to check out the recipe over at “The Country Cook“, please feel free to do so! Her version is even easier than mine as she uses bacon bits instead of having to fry the bacon.
This is one of the only recipes I use a liner in the crockpot. I did it from the very start as I cannot imagine how sticky it would be otherwise! Seeing the liner when I pull it out, I’m very glad I decided to make that choice.
All you need is: tater tots, bacon, chicken, cheese, and a can of mixed vegetables. (plus some milk, salt, and pepper, but those are pretty much pantry staples.)
Cheesy Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
- Spray slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray (or use slow-cooker liner bag).
- Layer half of tater tots on bottom of slow cooker. Sprinkle with 1/3 of bacon and 1/3 of shredded cheese. Shake 1/2 of vegetables over.
- Add diced chicken over mixture. Salt and pepper.
- Shake remaining 1/2 of vegetables over. Add another 1/3 of bacon and cheese.
- Place remaining tater tots on top. Finally add remaining 1/3 of bacon and cheese.
- Pour milk over top.
- Cook 4-6 hours on low heat.