How about one last beach party before school starts? Combining that with National Cupcake Day (well, it was in 2015…apparently it’s now December 15)- because who doesn’t love cupcakes?- I decided to feature these amazingly cute cupcakes. Beach Party Cupcakes.
My friend Danielle made these for the beach party she organized for the FRG. (If you can’t tell from the cupcakes alone, she organized the most fabulous FRG event I’ve ever been at!). Go Big Red!
While they are a bit time-consuming (the decorating takes a little bit of time), they aren’t hard to make at all. So, without further ado….beach party cupcakes.
If you go on Pinterest, there are actually quite a few different cupcake designs for the beach. These seem to be a combination of a few different ideas. And I think they look the best. They also tasted pretty good.
Beach Party Cupcakes
- 1 box funfetti cake mix or flavor of your choice
- eggs amount called for on box, plus one
- milk substitute (same amount) water called for on box
- unsalted butter substitute (same amount) oil called for on box
- Prepare cupcakes according to package directions EXCEPT: use an extra egg, substitute milk for water, and substitute melted butter instead of oil. Spoon batter into cupcake liners.
- Bake according to package directions. Remove from oven when done; immediately flip them out of muffin pan. Allow to cool.
- Whip frosting with vanilla.
- After cupcakes are cooled, frost.
- Generously sprinkle light brown sugar on top of frosting…it should look like sand.
- Cut off pieces of “Airheads” to make beach mats. Place on left side of cupcake.
- Add a teddy graham on top of beach mat…you might have to use a little dab of frosting to make him stick.
- Add a gummy lifesaver to the right side. Press it in lightly to make it stay. (Alternatively, you can prop it up slightly against the umbrella).
- Poke a beach umbrella in (open the umbrella).
- Stand back and watch everyone be impressed.