This is probably our household’s new favorite (healthy) dish. I admit that I don’t think ANYTHING is ever going to beat my “Chicken and Wild Rice Soup,” so it would be a lie to say it’s our absolutely favorite dish.
I like it because it’s a one-pot meal. (Less dishes!). And it’s healthy. Husband loves it because he can dump it in a tortilla (he prefers the spinach ones…ick!) and take it to work for lunch. Great-tasting, easy to eat, and a lot better tasting than a sandwich.
The ultimate compliment is when he comes home from work and says someone was envious of the lunch/wanted the recipe (usually for their wife)/you get the idea.
And with the new year coming up (and all those New Year Resolutions), anyone else have a healthy recipe they want to share?
My husband got the idea for this recipe from “Damn Delicious”. I apologize for the few days it was posted without that credit being up here. Honestly, husband handed me a piece of paper with the stuff on it. I didn’t even think of looking it up. PLEASE, PLEASE visit the original site. The recipe (both ingredients and instructions) are slightly different there, and you may prefer that version.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 jalapenos minced
- 1 & 1/2 cup quinoa
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 2 15 oz. cans black beans (canned) rinsed and drained
- 2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cup corn kernels fresh or frozen
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 3/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 5 Tbsp. cilantro chopped
- Sour cream garnish
- Mise en place (always!). Mince jalapeno (use gloves!) and garlic.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic & jalapeño. Sauté for 1-2 minutes, until garlic slightly browned.
- Stir in quinoa. Stir well, allow it to soak up any juice/liquid.
- Stir in broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder, cumin, salt, & pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until quinoa is cooked and fluffed up (15-20 minutes).
- Remove from heat. Stir in 4 Tbsp. fresh cilantro. Garnish with sour cream and extra cilantro, if desired.