Cookies and Cream Muddy Buddies. White chocolate, semisweet chocolate, & Oreos combine to make a muddy buddies without peanut butter.
I had some leftover Oreos and decided to see what types of delicious desserts I could turn them into. Cookies and cream muddy buddies were the first on my list. Muddy buddies are always a great choice simply because they’re so easy.
I tested some different versions. My husband’s workplace was very happy with me that week- they got all the versions to eat. And this version- that actually incorporates the cream from the Oreos into the cookies and cream puppy chow- was the best. By far.
It was so delicious I ended up keeping a bunch of it home for me to eat! Not that my waistline needed it. But sometimes sacrifices must be made. haha. If you’re looking for a version of muddy buddies without peanut butter, this is a great option.
If you’re like me and love muddy buddies, check out the ENTIRE PAGE dedicated to puppy chow: “Puppy Chow (& Bark)“.
Notes on REcipe
While this recipe is easy, it is a little bit more complicated than your average muddy buddies.
First, you have to scrape the filling out of the Oreos. Which is easy, but does take a little time.
Second, you’re actually making the white and dark versions separately. So double the work. But like all muddy buddies, it’s super-easy. No oven required. And a delicious end result.
Cookies and Cream Muddy Buddies
- 15 Oreos
- 10 oz. white chocolate
- 2 tsp. shortening divided
- 8 C. Corn or Rice Chex divided
- 1 & 1/2 C. powdered sugar divided
- 10 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 bars Hershey’s cookies and cream chocolate broken up
- Mise en place. Pour 4 C. of cereal into a large bowl. Pour the other 4 C. into a second large bowl. Pour 1 cup of powdered sugar into one large Ziploc bag.
- Separate the Oreos, placing the cream filling in the bowl you’re going to melt the white chocolate in. Crush the cookie wafer portions and place in a second large Ziploc bag. Add 1/2 C. powdered sugar to crushed cookies.
- Add white chocolate- broken into chunks- into the bowl with the cream filling. Add 1 tsp. of the shortening. Melt in the microwave for 30 seconds at 50% power. Stir. Continue heating at 20 second intervals (at 50% power), stirring between each interval, until chocolate melted.
- Pour the white chocolate and cream mixture over one of the bowls of cereal. Stir carefully, coating everything, trying not to break up cereal too much.
- Add cereal to Ziploc bag that contains 1 cup of powdered sugar. Seal. Toss cereal, breaking up any chunks carefully, until everything is well-coated. Spread on a baking sheet to dry.
- Place semisweet chocolate and remaining 1 tsp. of shortening into a small bowl. Melt in the microwave for 30 seconds at 50% power. Stir. Continue heating at 20 second intervals (at 50% power), stirring between each interval, until chocolate melted.
- Pour the semisweet chocolate over the other bowl of cereal. Stir carefully, coating everything, trying not to break up cereal too much.
- Add cereal to Ziploc bag that contains cookies crumbs and 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. Seal. Toss cereal, breaking up any chunks carefully, until everything is well-coated. Spread on a baking sheet to dry.
- After everything is dried, toss together along with broken up Hershey’s Cookies and Cream chocolate bars.
- Hide any that you want to eat (it disappears fast!). Serve the rest.
What do you think?
What did you think of these cookies and cream muddy buddies? Let me know by leaving a rating on the recipe or commenting below.
Could you do me a quick favor? If you enjoyed this recipe, could you share it with your friends? Share buttons are at the top.
Leave a Reply