This chicken pot pie recipe is great. I’ve previously posted it, but I finally got around to taking some good pictures.
Another thing I like is that this is one way we really, really stretch a dollar. I buy a whole chicken (on sale, of course). Buying a whole chicken is the cheapest per pound (versus buying legs, etc.). I roast it, and the first two days husband eats the legs and thighs, his favorite part. Then I chop off most of the rest of the meat and make chicken pot pie. But wait…we’re still not done. I throw the scraps, including all the bone (yep, the whole chicken) in a Ziploc in the freezer. I use the chicken scraps (and leftover vegetable scraps) to make chicken stock. (You know the post I did 2 days ago! You can find it here.). Yep, two great meals plus free broth out of one chicken.
Yes, it uses a store-bought crust. Because, honestly, it bakes so well with the filling, I”m not sure a homemade one could be better.
After pre-heating the oven, combine the chicken (after you’ve picked it off the bone, of course, assuming you’re using leftovers) and vegetables in a large pot of water. Boil it for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, drain, and set aside.
Making the sauce is the only “intensive” part. But it’s worth it. In saucepan, over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. (Roux process, but you’re not going to go as thick as you would with some other recipes.). Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk, making sure all ingredients are smoothly combined. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat & set aside.
Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 C. carrots chopped
- 1 C. frozen green peas
- 1/2 C. celery chopped
- 1 C. potatoes diced
- 1/3 C. unsalted butter
- 1/3 C. white onion chopped
- 1/3 C. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. celery seed
- 1 & 3/4 C. chicken broth
- 2/3 C. milk
- 2 9" unbaked pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large pot, combine chicken, carrots, peas, celery, & potatoes. Add water to cover and boil for 15 min.
- Remove from heat, drain, and set aside.
- In saucepan, over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. (Making roux). Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk, making sure all ingredients are smoothly combined. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat & set aside.
- Place one crust in bottom of deep pie dish. Spoon chicken mixture in pie dish. Pour hot liquid mixture over this. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and crimp edges. Make small slits in crust to allow steam to vent.
- Bake in preheated over for 30 min., covering edge of crust with foil after 10 min. Crust should be golden brown.
- Cool 10 min. before serving.