Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole. This easy, hearty casserole with buttery crumb topping is the perfect comfort food.
This recipe is the perfect comfort food. With ham and potatoes, it’s filling. The cheesy taste and texture brings up memories of being snuggled up warm on the couch. It has a buttery bread topping that just melts in your mouth. My favorite part is that I can use up leftover ham from our big Easter and Christmas dinners.
We usually make a big ham twice a year. While we love Maple-Glazed Ham with Cider Raisin Sauce, it does leave us with leftovers. A lot of them. Especially since there are only two of us. So we eat ham for two days. Then I chop up the extra. Part of the meat goes into this delicious casserole. The ham bone and the rest of the meat goes into Hearty Ham & Bean Soup. Yes, one ham gets us over a week of meals.
How do I make the sauce for this casserole?
I think one of the reasons that I love this ham and potato casserole is that the cheese sauce is so easy. Unlike some homemade sauces (the sauce in my Homemade Macaroni & Cheese takes FOREVER), this one thickens up quickly.
All you have to do is melt the butter. Add the flour and spices. (Making a roux.)
Slowly add the milk (and a bit of reserved cooking liquid).
Stir and cook until thickened. As I mentioned, this doesn’t take long at all.
Add the cheese. And you’re done!
Do I have to use fresh parsley?
NO! You do not. I have substituted dried parsley at least a half dozen times and haven’t noticed a difference. But if you’re real connoisseur, maybe you’ll be able to.
Cheesy Ham & Potato Casserole
- 2 lb. potatoes peeled, 1/2" to 3/4" chunks
- 1 C. carrots thinly sliced
- 5 Tbsp. unsalted butter divided
- 4 Tbsp. fresh parsley finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 & 3/4 C. milk
- 2 C. shredded cheddar
- 3 C. ham chopped
- 1/2 C. bread crumbs
- Mise en place! Prep potatoes, carrots, parsley, and ham. Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Place potatoes and carrots in a large pot. Cover with water. Salt. Bring to a boil and simmer until tender, approximately 10 minutes. Drain, reserving the water.
- In a saucepan, melt 3 Tbsp. of butter over medium-low heat. Stir in parsley, flour, salt, and pepper. Stir until smooth and bubbly.
- Add 3/4 C. of reserved liquid (from boiling potatoes and carrots) and milk in small intervals (approximately 1/4 cup at a time), stirring well after each addition. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened.
- When sauce is thickened, add cheese in large handfuls, stirring well after each addition. Remove from heat when cheese sauce is smooth and bubbly.
- Pour cheese sauce over potatoes and carrots. Gently stir in ham. Transfer to a baking dish.
- Melt remaining 2 Tbsp. of butter. Stir bread crumbs into butter. Sprinkle bread crumb/butter mixture over casserole.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Could you share this?
Could you do me a quick favor? If you liked this recipe, could you share it with your friends? Share buttons are at the top of the post!
Leave a Reply