Stuffed zucchini is one of my favorite go-to recipes when I’m looking for a healthy option… even with the Italian sausage.
2 large zucchini (the larger the better)
8 oz. ground italian sausage, hot
1/3 C. red pepper, diced
1/3 C. green pepper, diced
1/4 C. onion, diced
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 to 3/4 C. spaghetti sauce
1 & 1/2 Tbsp. butter
1 & 1/2 Tbsp. flour
1 & 1/8 C. milk
1/2 C. parmesan cheese, divided
3/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Drop zucchini into boiling water and boil for 5 min. Remove from water and cool (placing in cold water will speed the process). Cut in half lengthwise, and scoop out pulp (save pulp). Place “shells” in glass baking pan.
- Brown italian sausage and drain well.
- Mix pulp, vegetables, Italian seasoning, and spaghetti sauce in a medium pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 min. Scoop into shells.
- In a small pan, melt butter; add flour and salt. Slowly add milk; simmer for 2 min. Add half of parmesan cheese. Whisk in dijon. Pour over filled zucchini shells.
- Sprinkle remaining parmesan over zucchini.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-35 min.