***Update 9/19/16: While these work and are edible…I’ve found a MUCH better recipe for cornbread. Please check out “Old-fashioned, Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread“. Trust me. Really, trust me. If you’re set on muffins, use that recipe, but use a muffin tin.***
(As I’ve said before, if you’re not changing a recipe, you’re not trying.)
1 & 1/4 C. all-purpose flour
1 C. yellow corn meal
1/4 C. sugar
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 & 1/8 C. milk
1/4 C. vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Grease muffin tin w/ butter-flavored Crisco.
- Combine dry ingredients. Separately, whisk together wet ingredients. Add wet to dry. Mix just until dry ingredients are moist.
- Spoon batter into 12 pre-greased muffin cups. Do NOT use paper muffin cups for cornbread.
- Bake 15-20 min. until tops are golden brown.
- Remove from oven, turn out onto cooling rack. Do not cool in pan.
We tried many types of corn meal before we found one we really liked. So if your first batch doesn’t turn out right/to your taste, try a different cornmeal brand before a new recipe. FYI, we use the Quaker brand cornmeal…which is only available at one store in our entire area.